We chose 7 of our favorite outdoor cooking pits designed specifically for grilling and roasting your favorite foods outside over an open fire.
It doesn’t get more back to basics than this, so let’s jump in a take a look at some of the best outdoor cooking pits on the market today!
Those fancy decorative gas fire pits are convenient if you are looking to warm up around a stylish conversation piece.
But you wouldn’t exactly want to drop a hot sticky marshmallow or greasy bratwurst into one of them.
If you want sausages, or even steaks, straight out of the fire, as our long ago ancestors did it, you may be in need of an outdoor cooking pit that is…well, made for cooking.
Given all the choices and types of fire pits on the market, buying the right outdoor cooking pit can turn out to be quite a daunting task.
But help is at hand! Here’s our pick of the best outdoor cooking pits out there.
In a Hurry? Check out our Top 7 Outdoor Cooking Pits for 2022 HERE:
Or skip below to read about each one individually.
|Top||Landmann||Landmann Northwoods Outdoor Fireplace,Black,Large||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Pleasant Hearth||Pleasant Hearth Martin Extra Deep Wood Burning Fire Pit, 26-Inch||Check Price on Amazon|
|TopTop||BALI OUTDOORS||BALI OUTDOORS Wood Burning Fire Pit Backyard with Cooking Grill||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Volcano Grills||Volcano Grills 3-Fuel Portable Camping Stove/Fire Pit, Charcoal, Collapses Down to 5 inches||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Landmann||Landmann Patio Lights Firewave Firepit, Black||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Solo Stove||Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit - Smokeless Large 19.5 Inch Stainless Steel Outdoor Firepit | Portable Backyard Natural Wood Burning Firebowl | No Gas or Propane Required||Check Price on Amazon|
|Top||Pure Garden||Fire Pit Set, Wood Burning Pit - Includes Screen, Cover and Log Poker - Great for Outdoor and Patio, 30 inch Square Marble Tile Firepit by Pure Garden||Check Price on Amazon|
The Top 7 Outdoor Cooking Pits In 2022
1. Landmann Northwoods Outdoor Cooking Pit
- Portable outdoor fireplace with spark guard, grate and stoking tools
- Spark guard screen with easy access door that hinges up and out of the way
- Full-perimeter handle for easy transport; ash grate for optimal airflow and easy starts
- Includes ash grate and two multi purpose tools for transport and tending fire
- 360-degree view of the fire; measures 35 by 26 by 26 inches
Measuring up to 35 inches, this portable fireplace/cooking pit is perfect for large outdoor gatherings.
It comes with a cooking grate and an easy access door for loading logs as well as grilling succulent chunks of meat.
It also features a high heat finish and a full-coverage spark guard for optimal safety.Check Price on Amazon
- Lightweight and portable for camping or parties.
- Large hinged access door enables easy loading of food and logs
- Comes with multipurpose tools INCLUDED for tending and stoking the logs
- Large, lightweight outdoor cooking pit at an affordable price
- Cooking grate covers just a part of the firepit
- Some users found its construction flimsy
2. Volcano Grills 3-Fuel Camping Stove
- 3-Fuels: Propane, Charcoal, or Wood (connects to standard 20 pound propane tank, or adapter for portable bottles sold separately)
- Portable: Collapses down to 5, fits in carrying case for easy storage and transportation. Sets up in just seconds.
- Versatile: grill, Dutch oven, wok, bake, roast, fry, fire pit
Whether you are camping in the backyard or embarking on an all out survival trek through the mountains, nothing would serve you better than this three-fuel cooking pit from Volcano Grills.
Suppose you run out of propane, this versatile product switches to burning wood and charcoal.Check Price on Amazon
Have too much to carry already? It collapses down to 5 inches for easy portability in its own storage bag.
- 3-fuel capability makes cooking pit ideal for use in adverse circumstances
- Switch between propane, charcoal, and wood in mere seconds
- Collapses down to 5 inches for easy portability in its own backpack
- Users complained of inadequate control over the flame in propane mode
- Came with broken parts on a few occasions
3. Martin Firepit From Pleasant Hearth
- Extra deep design provides plenty of space for a raging fire.
- Mesh cover to reduce the number of escaping sparks
- Chrome plated cooking grid allows you to BBQ over the fire
Attractively square in design, this extra deep cooking fire pit provides plenty of space for a raging fire that will not only warm you but also provide for your outdoor culinary needs.
While the product’s built-in CirculAir system provides for more airflow and a consistent fire, the chrome-plated cooking grid lets you barbecue to your heart’s content.Check Price on Amazon
- 12-inch-deep bowl lets you set up logs however you like
- Insert chrome cooking grid to turn bonfire into a barbecue
- CirculAir system ensures optimum oxygen circulation for healthier flames
- Removable mesh cover for efficient tending of the fire
- Some users complained of flaking paint
- May start rusting if not packed away when not in use
4. Solo Stove Bonfire
- Solo Stove Bonfire, the worlds most unique fire pit, was painstakingly engineered to provide a backyard fire experience that cannot be duplicated.
- SECONDARY COMBUSTION - Double wall design maximizes airflow and burning process. Bottom vent holes allow oxygen to the feed the fire from below while simultaneously channeling warm oxygen up between the walls of the stove and back into the fire.
- EFFICIENT BURN/LOW SMOKE - A more complete burn means little to no smoke. It also means no more half burnt logs to deal with.
A fire pit that’s as futuristic in looks as in its technology, the Solo Stove Bonfire is painstakingly engineered to push the limits of both combustion airflow efficiency and minimalistic outdoor design.
While its double-wall structure maximizes air supply for efficient burning, bottom vent holes allow oxygen to feed the fire from below — generating minimal smoke.
The result? An efficient fire pit that is just as good at warming you as roasting your marshmallows.Check Price on Amazon
- Singular construction does away with any need for parts or assembly
- Efficient combustion technology minimizes smoke emission
- Near-complete combustion of logs reduces the need for cleaning
- Comes with a heavy-duty case for easy portability
- Some complained of silver polish fading with continued use
- Users faced difficulty in removing the ash
- No grill grates, but works well for roasting marshmallows
5. Landmann Patio Lights Firewave
- Patio lights firepit with firewave design cutouts and black finish
- Sturdy steel construction
- Includes cooking grate and spark screen with poker
Another sturdy product from Landmann, this black firepit has a classic round design with flame-shaped cutouts that come to life in the dark.
Besides a spark screen and a poker, the set includes a porcelain cooking grate for grilling anything from steaks to burgers.
However, its sturdy construction does not come at the cost of portability.
The Patio Lights Firewave is lightweight and has a handy safety ring with which to carry it around.Check Price on Amazon
- Comes with a mesh guard to prevent sparks from flying around
- Attractive “firewave” cutouts help with airflow, ensuring better combustion
- With a diameter of 23 inches, it doesn’t demand much space
- Accessories include porcelain cooking grate with handles
- Some found assembling the firepit difficult
6. Square Marble Tile Fire Pit by Pure Garden
- DURABLE DESIGN- Enjoy your tile wood burning Fire Pit without worry. Made from powder coated steel to resist rust, this fire pit is lightweight and weatherproof for longer lasting outdoor use. The steel leg construction and decorative sturdy design will have long lasting appeal and would be a charming addition to your yard or patio.
- LOW MAINTENANCE AND EASY SET UP- The Pure Garden Fire Pit is easy to set up and requires very little upkeep. Wood burning for convenient heating. Clean the outside with a slightly damp cloth. No chemicals or cleaning product required.
An attractive blend of marble accents and contemporary design, the Pure Garden Square Marble Tile Firepit is just as good at creating lasting memories with family and friends as it is at roasting sausages.
Made of powder-coated steel to resist rust, the firepit is both lightweight and weatherproof for years of outdoor use.
Comes with a tile tabletop cover, safety log poker, spark screen, assembly hardware, and a protective cover of weather-resistant PVC.Check Price on Amazon
- Designer fire pit with grilling capabilities at an attractive price
- Made of powder-coated steel for maximum rust resistance
- Easy installation with very little upkeep over the years
- A few users complained of marble tiles not locking in place
- Does not come with a cooking grate
7. Bali Outdoors Fire Pit With Cooking Grill
- This wood burning fire pit is exclusive to BALI OUTDOORS. Grill swivels 360 degrees. Grill adjusts up and down, fixed by screws
- Features a circular steel ring fixed on four legs, making this fire pit more stable
- Collapsible triangle frame rack to hold logs for better ventilation, provides plenty space for a Raging fire. The poker and log rack are included
Equipped with a cooking grill that props itself daintily over red hot coals, the Bali Outdoors Fire Pit is everything Tarzan would have asked for if he was a chef.
While a circular ring fixed to the four legs provides added stability to the fire pit, the highly-adjustable cooking grill moves 360 degrees, allowing you to move your food in and out of the fire as needed.Check Price on Amazon
- FDA-compliant barbecue grill provides an adequate cooking area
- Four legs attached to a circular ring for stability
- Collapsible triangle frame rack affords better ventilation
- Some users complained of paint peeling off
- May rust if left exposed to the elements
How to Choose a Great Outdoor Cooking Pit
Regardless of how often you plan to use the cooking pit, it will contribute to the overall look of your patio or backyard.
Make sure you strike the perfect balance between beauty and performance while choosing one.
Every kind of fuel, ranging from wood to a propane tank, comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
While wood can give your food the smoky flavor that every chef harps on about, be sure you understand how to light and control your fire/coals before offering to cook for a large gathering.
Propane cooking pits are eco-friendly and easier to clean and control than wood-fired ones, but they can prove expensive in the long run.
Steel is hardy and reliable but prone to rusting over time unless powder-coated.
Tile and slate are pretty to look at but high on maintenance.
Cast iron, being both lightweight and durable, is the best option of the lot.
Buy a cooking pit suited to your needs. If you have a large family or friends who number by the horde, go for the Landmann Northwoods Outdoor Cooking Pit.
If it’s just you and a friend, the Solo Stove Bonfire should suffice.
The Best Outdoor Cooking Pits – Our Favorite
Like everything else out there, outdoor cooking pits come in all shapes and sizes with widely varying features.
However, if we had to pick the best of the lot, we would go with the Bali Outdoors Fire Pit with Cooking Grill not only because of its aesthetics and the emphasis it places on cooking.
Equipped with an FDA-compliant barbecue grill, it provides enough room for grilling everything from meat to burgers.
To top it all, it’s a compact cooking pit that can look pretty on any patio without trying too hard.
Other Fun Outdoor Patio Ideas and Products
Fire Pits and Cooking
The Most Popular Fire Pit Accessories You Need for 2022
The Best Wood Fired Pizza Ovens for 2022
The Best Campfire Grilling Racks for 2022
Easy Natural Gas Fire Pits: Our Top 5 Picks
The 5 Most Popular Rectangular Fire Pits for 2022
Patio Furniture, Heating, and Accessories
5 Crazy Popular Hardtop Gazebos for 2022
The Best Patio Lounge Furniture for Outdoor Spaces in 2022
The Most Popular Modern Patio Furniture for 2022
The Best Natural Gas Patio Heaters: Buyer’s Guide
Top 10 Best Electric Patio Heaters for 2022
The 10 Most Popular Patio Coolers for 2022