Learn everything you need to know about how to make smoked cream cheese dip!
We start with a simple smoked block of cream cheese and add cheddar and bacon to take this smoked cream cheese dip to the next level.
Whether you've got a gas or charcoal grill, a Traeger or Pit Boss pellet grill, or even a Masterbuilt electric smoker, we've got you covered!
Why Smoked Cream Cheese Dip?
This smoked cream cheese dip is delicious and incredibly easy to make.
Smoking cheese, or cream cheese for that matter, for ANY dish, really brings out an added depth of flavor that makes a world of difference for even the simplest appetizers.
While we choose to add in bacon, cheddar, and green onions, you really can go any direction you want with your smoked cream cheese dip depending on your taste preferences.
**First, check out our complete recipe for How to Make Smoked Cream Cheese, as you will need an 8 oz block of smoked cream cheese with which to make your smoked cream cheese dip.**
You can even smoke several blocks and serve one seasoned with a hot pepper jelly like we show you in that article.
But set aside at least one plain one to incorporate into your smoked cream cheese dip as we show you below.
Once you have your plain smoked BLOCK of cream cheese (you did check out our smoked cream cheese recipe first right?), you are ready to mix up your smoked cream cheese dip.
Here's the Ingredients You Will Need:
- smoked cream cheese
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- dry mustard
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
Steps to Follow
1. First set up your smoker for indirect heat at 180°F and smoke your block of cream cheese for about 2 hours as detailed in our smoked cream cheese recipe here.
2. While the cream cheese is smoking, cook your bacon in a skillet and then pat dry with paper towels. Once cooled, chop the bacon into small crumbles and set aside.
3. Next shred your cheddar cheese. We prefer to shred from a block using a good cheese grater like this one rather than using pre-shredded cheese that is caked in well...anti-caking agents. It tastes better and makes for a better nicer looking presentation in the dip.
4. Once the cream cheese is finished, remove it from the grill or smoker and add it to a large mixing bowl along with all of the other ingredients. Fold everything together gently until well incorporated.
5. Sprinkle a tablespoon of chopped green onions on top to garnish.
Your smoked cream cheese dip can be served immediately while warm or put in the refrigerator and saved for later.
Smoked cream cheese dip is great for a Super Bowl party alongside some smoked chicken wings, or to serve at your next backyard barbecue while the guests are mingling and waiting for the brisket or baby back ribs.
Smoked Cream Cheese Dip with Bacon and Cheddar
- Large Skillet
- Cheese Grater
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Spoon or Spatula
- Serving Bowl
- 8 ounces Smoked Cream Cheese Block click or see recipe link in notes below
- 6 slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Sliced Green Onions plus 1 tablespoon set aside for garnish
- ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- First set up your smoker for indirect heat at 180°F and smoke your block of cream cheese for about 2 hours as detailed in our smoked cream cheese recipe (see link in notes).8 ounces Smoked Cream Cheese Block
- While the cream cheese is smoking, cook your bacon in a skillet and then pat dry with paper towels. Once cooled, chop the bacon into small crumbles and set aside.6 slices Bacon
- Next shred your cheddar cheese and set aside.2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Once the cream cheese is finished smoking, remove it from the grill or smoker and add it to a large mixing bowl along with all of the other ingredients.1 cup Sour Cream, ¼ cup Sliced Green Onions, ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ⅛ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Fold everything together gently until well incorporated.
- Sprinkle extra chopped green onions on top to garnish.¼ cup Sliced Green Onions
- Serve with crackers, pretzels, and/or vegetables for dipping.